[Eeglablist] ICA - low density, spatially restricted montages

Yaseen Gerhold sunshineafterdusk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 00:09:01 PDT 2012

ICA-gurus

I have a low density  montage, 8 channels over the frontal and prefrontal
regions. I want to know if it is feasible to use ICA in this context for
artifact correction, or is ICAs application limited to higher density
montages?

 RUNICA appears to resolve all the eye-blink data into one neat component
on a trial run: One can see this in spatial (scalp maps), frequency
(fractal dimension) and time domain. My concern is that with only 8
components to resolve to, and limited spatial sampling (frontal region
only), important the cortical data may also be resolved to the artifactual
component.

Can someone please share any experience they have in this context, or
provide some theoretical guidance in terms of ICA performance under such
conditions?

Yaseen