[Eeglablist] Coherence or Correlation among set of electrodes

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:53:02 PDT 2012

Greg, just to bring you up to speed, nowadays most researchers working with
EEG or MEG quite rarely use simple FFT periodogram analysis. Wavelets or
multi-tapers are routinely preferred (and have been available, for
instance, in EEGLAB and Fieldtrip for many years).

I'm not sure I follow your argument that spectral decompositions need be
performed at the active electrode site. Many (if not most) research-grade
EEG hardware solutions already utilize unity-gain active electrodes which
significantly reduces signal degradation and noise contamination prior to
high-precision ADC. The spectral decomposition is then performed in
software. Is your argument that this noise reduction is still insufficient
and that the situation would be vastly improved by performing ADC and
spectral analysis at each electrode? I'm curious if you might detail how
that would be the case.

Also, to what are you referring when you say "current generation FFT-based
analysis hardware?" Because, in most research (and clinical) practices,
spectral analysis is performed in software (although, of course an
equivalent analog circuit *could* be used -- at least for something as
simple as a DFT).

Tim