[Eeglablist] getting started with AMICA

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:13:58 PST 2012

Hi Joseph,

It seems to be getting confused in trying to automatically set up the binary
filename (full path) and the MPI bin directory location .  referencing
"dreamio4 ." when it tries to run the run the binary, seeming missing a
beginning "/".  First off, have you verified that the binary runs on the
command line with one of the sample input.param and datafiles?

If the binary runs standalone (see amica webpage), then you might try
bypassing the beginning section of runamica12.m and setting:

                MPI_BIN  =  <full path of your mpich2 bin directory>

                AMBIN = <amica binary file name with full path>

And for running on the cluster, it's best use a filename, and specify the
number of channels with 'num_chans', and output directory with 'outdir'.

It also seems to be finding a "make" parallel environment and trying to use
openmpi. Make is not really a supported parallel environment-it was added as
a workaround for a cluster at UCLA and I thought it was unique to that
cluster. You should be able to query sge to tell you the available parallel
environments with:

                $ qconf -spl

Ideally you would have mpich2 installed, and a parallel environment called
"mpich", or  <pe_name> set up to use it. You can check the pe setup with
"qconf -sp <pe_name>". If you have a valid parallel environment set up and
named, you can add the matlab command line keyword:

                >> runamica12( '/home/me/mydata.fdt', 'num_chans',
EEG.nbchan, 'outdir', '/home/me/myoutput/'., 'use_pe', '<pe_name>', .);

It has also worked on openmpi installations (orte, as opposed to mpich), but
may not work on all openmpi.

Besides the parallel environment, and the path names being set up correctly,
you need to have a queue set up. You should be able to see a list of queues
(and available slots) with:

                $ qstat -g c

Or just a list of queues with "qconf -sql". Then with a queue name, you can
add the matlab command line keyword,

                >> runamica12( '/home/me/mydata.fdt', 'num_chans',
EEG.nbchan, 'outdir', '/home/me/myoutput/' ., 'use_queue', '<queue_name>',
.);

To set the number of processors to use (your queue must have this number of
slots available to run the job), use the keyword,

                >> runamica12( .., 'numprocs', 16, .);

To get 16 slots/cores for example.

If it successfully submits a job, it will give you a job id number in the
immediate matlab output. You can use "qstat" to check the job status, either
"qw" for queue wait, or "r" for running. It should put a file in your home
directory called qsub.sh.o<jobid>, which contains all the output, and a
similar file containing any error output, in addition to the output saved in
the output directory specified by the 'outdir' keyword.

Let me know if none of that helps.

Best,

Jason