[Eeglablist] relation between EEG data and other signal, average ref question

ida miokovic ida.miokovic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 04:49:48 PDT 2013

Dear list,

I have 2 questions which I will try to present as clear as I can and to
thank you in advance for any help:

1. I am trying to find relation (causal connection) between EEG dataset and
certain breathing signal (let's say it is B signal) recorded at the same
time as EEG.

 I performed EEG data preprocessing (filtering, ICA and removal of
components recognized as artifacts).

 So on one side I have continuous signal of EEG channels and on the other
side continuous signal B (of the same size as EEG channels recording). What
are the best ways to perform this in EEGLAB? I suppose everyone is always
trying to find certain relation between something and EEG signals so I
suppose it is not unusual request.

2. This question is about re-referencing to the average reference - EEG
dataset I am working with has been recorded with AFz as GND and FCz as REF
(128 chennels Acti Cap is used). Nothing from these channels isn't present
in data I have (I did not participate in recording procedure) and I would
like to re-reference data to the average reference. Is it usual that
activity from REF and GND channels are not given/measured? In tutorial  of
EEGLAB, I found suggestion to include reference channels in the average
reference if they are on the scalp. Mine are on the scalp, but I don't have
any recordings of them. Also, everyone is mentioning REF electrode, and I
have GND too...

Kind regards and thank you for your time and help

Ida