[Eeglablist] Question regarding Cleanline

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 12:37:50 PST 2013

Hi Michael,

Power grid fluctuations and changes in EMI from movement or other factors
can cause line noise frequency and complex amplitude to vary over time.
Cleanline subtracts from the data a time-domain sinusoid representing the
best estimate of the deterministic line noise signal (based on a
frequency-domain regression). If a single sinusoid estimate is obtained for
all the data, but the line noise frequency or amplitude drifts over time
this may result in suboptimal correction. For this reason, using a shorter
sliding window for noise correction is generally the best approach. There
are options for this in Cleanline. I usually recommend starting with a 4
sec window with 4 sec step size (no overlap), but you may want to start
with 10 seconds since you've already had good results there.

Tim

--