[Eeglablist] Problem with epoching and boundary events

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Mon Jan 13 11:08:21 PST 2014

Hi Phillipp,

I have posted your issue to EEGLAB Bugzilla (bug# 1552) and committed the fix to the EEGLAB SVN repository (revision 10261).

Let me know if my replication of your account captures the issue that you described (taken from the bugzilla report):

I replicated the problem by creating three events in a continuous dataset
containing a boundary discontinuity at 4.2 seconds into the recording. I added
event type 's3' (three seconds into the recording), event type 's4' (four
seconds into the recording) and event type 's5' (five seconds into the
recording).

If I epoch the data (+/- .5 seconds) to only 's4' I appropriately get "no epochs" related
errors.

If I epoch to {'s3' 's4'} I get 2 epochs and the boundary event is missing from
the data discontinuity in the second epoch.

If I epoch to {'s3' 's4' 's5'} I get 3 epochs and the boundary event is missing
from the data discontinuity in the second epoch.

If I add a boundary discontinuity at time 5.2 seconds into the recording and
then epoch to {'s3' 's4' 's5'} I get 2 epochs, one for 's3' and the second for
's5'. In this case again the boundary event is missing from the data
discontinuity in the second epoch (for 's5'), but it appropriately dropped the
's4' discontinuous epoch.

The issue of the final boundary event in the segmented dataset being dropped
can be traced back to line 505 in the current eeg_checkset function where it is
removing the final boundary event if its latency is greater than the size of
the second dimension of EEG.data. This step only seems to be appropriate when
the data are continuous (EEG.trials=1).

Thanks for noticing and reporting this!

James Desjardins, MA
Electrophysiology Technologist
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab, Psychology Department
Jack and Nora Walker Centre for Lifespan Development Research
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave.
St. Catharines, ON, Canada L2S 3A1
905-688-5550 x4676
--
"'Cause you never can tell What goes on down below!
"This pool might be bigger Than you or I know!"

McElligot's Pool
Dr.Seuss 1947