[Eeglablist] Filter causality pop_eegfiltnew

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 30 09:41:15 PST 2014

Dear Ana,

> Note that the delay of a linear phase FIR filter is always N/2 where N is
the order (not the number of coefficients which is then N+1). Consequently
and to get a delay as an integer number of samples you should have a filter
with a number of coefficients  odd (say 2M+1) and then the shift is M
(because order is 2M).

Thanks for nice clarification. My wording could be inaccurate since I don't
know much about signal processing. Your input is helpful!

Dear Andreas and Vito,

Ok I got it. What matters is NOT in the difference between filtfilt and
linear-phase with group delay correction. As long as they create a
symmetrical impulse responses, problem is the same- a ripple at time t is
created by the impulse at the future time t+k.

Now it makes sense that using causal filter is better for Granger causality
analysis. Thank you very much

Makoto

2014-01-30 Andreas Widmann <widmann at uni-leipzig.de>