[Eeglablist] averaging using EEGlab

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 17:57:14 PST 2014

Hi Akshay,

To do statistics on averaged ERPs, I believe the STUDY structure has a lot
of options; I personally haven't used it but there is documentation on the
EEGLAB wiki. You can also plot averages of one or more datasets in the GUI
using Plot > Sum/Compare ERPs.

It's also straightforward to make averages in MATLAB. The EEG.data
structure for epoched data is a three-dimensional matrix (channels *
samples * trials), so you can create an average for a given dataset with:

avg = mean( EEG.data, 3 );

then just do that for every condition for every participant, and you've got
averages that you can plot, analyze, etc.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
New York University, Abu Dhabi