[Eeglablist] Some basic questions about ICA

Benedikt Ehinger behinger at uos.de
Fri Feb 7 00:02:28 PST 2014

Hi Chen

These are inherent limitation of ICA.
If you look at the mixing formular:
     x = As (with x mixed data, A mixing matrix and s sources)

and you add a scaling of k

x = B(k*s)

you can match the scaling with B = (A/k)

x = (A/k)(k*s)
any arbitrary scaling factor k of the sources can be matched by the
mixing matrix. As both s and the mixing matrix are unknown, you will
never be able to recover the original amplitude. This of course is also
the case if you scale only a single source.

For the Permutation of the signal it is similar, if you permute the
order of the sources, you can as well permute the order of the Mixing
matrix to match the mixed signal again. It is impossible to do in this
method. That is why usually ICA orders the components with decreasing
variance.

If you want to read more about ICA I recommend:
http://cis.legacy.ics.tkk.fi/aapo/papers/IJCNN99_tutorialweb/
Or directly the limitations:
http://cis.legacy.ics.tkk.fi/aapo/papers/IJCNN99_tutorialweb/node4.html

Also interesting: Why gaussian variables are forbidden:
http://cis.legacy.ics.tkk.fi/aapo/papers/IJCNN99_tutorialweb/node9.html

Hope this explanation helps.
Best,
Benedikt