[Eeglablist] ICA for ERP analysis

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 16 10:58:47 PDT 2014

Dear David,

I found your decomposition results are very poor, and I'm sorry for saying
this.
Would you mind trying this?

1. Filter the data with bandpass 1-50 Hz using eegfiltnew() from GUI (use
the latest EEGLAB)
2. Reject bad epoch/time window. If you don't feel like spending too long
time on this, use my plugin trimOutlier
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Plugin_list_process
3. Run ICA.

Note that
1. 15Hz low-pass could have made the rank deficient
2. short baseline subtraction may have compromised ICA
3. z-normalized, for each channel? That is bad for ICA. ICA examines
across-channel amplitudes for every single datapoint.

And how many datapoints do you have for ICA? Make sure it is more than
(channel^2)*20.