[Eeglablist] When to perform re-reference?

Jerry Zhu jerryzhu at siu.edu
Thu Jun 26 13:55:23 PDT 2014

Well, this wiki page says average referencing before ICA could reduce the
rank by 1, which seems to be a bad thing.
So I guess, average reference should go after ICA.

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_09:_Decomposing_Data_Using_ICA
close to the end of page
"When computing average reference on n-channel data, the rank of the data
is reduced to n-1. Why? Because the sum of the potential is 0 at all time
points, the last channel activity is equal to minus the sum of the others.
ICA does not behave well in this (*rank-deficient*) condition."

--
Jian Zhu, M.A.
Brain and Cognitive Sciences

We have two halves in the brain: left and right. Nothing is right in the
left. Nothing is left in the right.