[Eeglablist] Dealing with artifacts in continuous EEG data before GC analysis

Pavel Goldstein dao4free at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 11:19:42 PDT 2014

Dear EEGlab members,

I'm planning to apply CG models to my continuous  EEG data, but  I'm having
a trouble on the preprocessing step.
I have read an  article
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165027011004687> about
filtering EEG data before GC analysis, but still it is not clear for me how
to deal with removing some data segments with strong artifacts.
Right now I'm planning to clean the data (several 2-minutes trials) by
removing some artifacts using visual detection (+filtering
notch+detrending)  followed by GC analysis using  2 sec. windows (actually
the final length of the windows will be identified by VAR model) .
Using such preprocessing approach I will receive continuous data with gaps,
and some 2-sec segments may consist of the mixed data before and after the
removed part. Such situations seem to me not appropriate  for GC analysis.
As a possible solutions I thought about 1) removing these mixed segments or
2) Dividing raw data (before artifacts rejection) on 2-sec segments and to
remove completely such segments  that contain an artifact.  Do I miss
something?

I would appreciate your advice on this matter.

Thanks,

Pavel