[Eeglablist] about the evoked activity and induced activity

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:36:57 PDT 2014

Dear Andrei and Hui-bin,

I'm still not sure what should be discussed here, but let me add my
thoughts exploratorily. Probably what I mean is in a primitive and
practical sense.

When I check IC freq spectra for cluster cleaning in STUDY, I visually
check their 1/f-ness. They can have peaks at theta or alpha, sometimes in
both alpha and beta together (typically mu shows this and rarely occipital
alpha does too), but otherwise they show a more or less smooth slope from
top left to the bottom right. I know these freq band specific peaks are on
the top of 1/f slope, but I don't know if I should call this to be non-1/f
(assuming that spec plot continues up to the nyquist frequency).

If the elbow of the curve is too deep, I would suspect some kind of eye
component. If the curve shows a broad peak that is higher than delta and
theta at around 30 Hz, or shows a square-root-sign shape over 2-30Hz, I
suspect EMG. They do not follow 1/f pattern.

Makoto