[Eeglablist] Problem with clean_rawdata

Tyler Grummett tyler.grummett at flinders.edu.au
Thu Dec 18 06:38:48 PST 2014

Hello eeglabbers,

Recently Ive been using clean_rawdata and it has been working really well. However, I just ran it and it gave me the following error:

>> EEG_cleaned = clean_rawdata( EEG, 5, 'off', 0.85, 4, 20, 'off');
Scanning for bad channels...
clean_channel:   1/2, 0.0 minutes remaining.
clean_channel:   2/2, 0.0 minutes remaining.
Removing 3 channel(s)...
Finding a clean section of the data...
Determining time window rejection thresholds...done.
Keeping 14.1% (2 seconds) of the data.
eeg_insertbound(): 4 boundary (break) events added.
eeg_insertbound(): event latencies recomputed and 15 events removed.
eeg_checkset note: upper time limit (xmax) adjusted so (xmax-xmin)*srate+1 = number of frames
Estimating calibration statistics; this may take a while...
Determining per-component thresholds...Error using bsxfun
Non-singleton dimensions of the two input arrays must match each other.

Error in asr_calibrate>fit_eeg_distribution (line 377)
        kl = sum(bsxfun(@times,p,bsxfun(@minus,log(p),logq(1:end-1,:)))) + log(m);

Error in asr_calibrate (line 180)
    [mu(c),sig(c)] = fit_eeg_distribution(rms,min_clean_fraction,max_dropout_fraction);

Error in clean_asr (line 164)
    state = asr_calibrate(ref_section.data,ref_section.srate,cutoff);

Error in clean_artifacts (line 219)
    EEG = clean_asr(EEG,burst_crit,[],[],[],burst_crit_refmaxbadchns,burst_crit_reftolerances,[]); end

Error in clean_rawdata (line 83)
cleanEEG = clean_artifacts(EEG, 'FlatlineCriterion', arg_flatline,...

I had a good look inside the functions and found this in the fit_eeg_distribution function (inside asr_calibrate):

On line 359 is the following code: X1 = X(1,:); X = bsxfun(@minus,X,X1);

Now i believe that gives a row of 0s.

then in the following line of code:

line 366: H = bsxfun(@times,X(1:m,:),nbins./X(m,:));

H is a line of NaNs, which then crashes the code on line 377.

I dont know if this is a bug or whether my data is dodgy in some way, but it has worked on other data and so I

dont know what conclusion to draw.

Ill run a few more tests, but I just wanted help from the experts :)

Tyler

Tyler Grummett ( BBSc, BSc(Hons I))
PhD Candidate
Brain Signals Laboratory