[Eeglablist] Reference free in BIOSEMI

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 5 17:49:46 PDT 2015

Dear Hoorisa,

> How I can deal with processing of '' BioSemi reference free''? Should I
choose average reference?

Some reference should be provided in the end. We've been using average
reference, but it's changing recently. See these works.

http://www.neuro.uestc.edu.cn/rest/
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fninf.2015.00016/abstract

The point of the second ref is that when you run average reference make
sure that you include good channels only.

> Also I have continuous data without events. Is there anyway to see
topography without events?

If you use ICA... because it generates a spatial filter that is time
invariant, you can see topography. Otherwise, you have to use topoplot()
function. It's easy to use. Type 'help topoplot' and give it a try.

> Additionally, that'd be nice if someone can list preprocessing and
processing steps for continuous data.

You should tell us what you want to do. I guess Simon's NBT is a good fit
for you. See below.

You can quantify the EEG using a NBT toolbox (see www.nbtwiki.net), which
is also a plugin to EEGLAB. The NBT toolbox offers several ways of
quantifying the EEG in both the spatial, temporal and spectral domain, you
can also easily add your own algorithms.

Makoto