[Eeglablist] Having problems with initial setup

Richard Contrada contrada at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 4 15:20:29 PST 2015

I am working on a PC running W7.

I tried to download and install EEGLab using TortoiseSVN which as I
understand it is a shell designed among other things to automatically
update programs when new versions are available:
<http://tortoisesvn.net/>http://tortoisesvn.net/

The first issue I ran into is that when I attempted to install to
C:\program files\EEGlab using Tortoise I received the following error
message:

"Can't create directory 'C:\Program Files\EEGLab\.svn':  Access denied."

This despite having logged onto the PC as Administrator.

So I tried again, using TortoiseSVN to download/install EEGlab to
C:\EEGlab, and this worked.

However, after using the Pathtool command to identify the EEGLab folder
and subfolders, and then invoking EEGLab on the command line, I received
this error message:

> >> eeglab
> eeglab: options file is C:\Users\Richard-8500\eeg_options.m
> Error using matlab.ui.control.UIControl/set
> While setting the 'FontName' property of 'UIControl':
> String value must not be empty
>
> Error in eeglab>eeg_mainfig (line 1325)
>     set(alltexth, 'fontname', FONTNAME, 'fontsize', FONTSIZE);
>
> Error in eeglab (line 449)
> javaobj = eeg_mainfig(onearg);

I also noticed that the blue EEGLab window was labelled "EEGLAB
v13.4.3b" indicating that the most recent version of EEGLab evidently
was not downloaded/installed by TortoiseSVN.

So I installed the current version of EEGLab directly to C:\Program
Files\EEGLab without using TortoiseSVN, deleted the previous EEGLab
paths, added the new EEGLab path, invoked EEGLab at the command line,
and received the following message:

> >> eeglab
> eeglab: options file is C:\Users\Richard-8500\eeg_options.m
> EEGLAB: adding "dipfit" v2.3 (see >> help eegplugin_dipfit)
> EEGLAB: adding "firfilt" v1.6.1 (see >> help eegplugin_firfilt)
> Warning: The file 'C:\Program Files\eeglab13_5_4b\eeglab.m' could not
> be cleared because it contains
> MATLAB code that is currently executing.
> > In eeglab>updatemenu (line 1416)
>   In eeglab (line 368)
>   In eeglab (line 1064)
> Warning: The file 'C:\Program Files\eeglab13_5_4b\eeglab.m' could not
> be cleared because it contains
> MATLAB code that is currently executing.
> > In eeglab>updatemenu (line 1416)
>   In eeglab (line 368)
>   In eeglab (line 1064)
> Warning: The file 'C:\Program Files\eeglab13_5_4b\eeglab.m' could not
> be cleared because it contains
> MATLAB code that is currently executing.
> > In eeglab>updatemenu (line 1416)
>   In eeglab (line 368)
>   In eeglab (line 1064)
> You are using the latest version of EEGLAB.

What do these warnings mean?  What are their implications?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Richard

--