[Eeglablist] A non-EEGLAB question: What to do with small eigenvalues when performing data whitening in EEG artifact removal.

Seyed Mohammad Reza Shahshahni smr.shahshahani at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 02:26:14 PDT 2016

Dear all

I'm trying to implement on-line artifact removal based on ICA. As known, in
and ICA algorithm like FastICA or SOBI we need to perform data whitening to
lessen the complexity.
I have encountered a case where some eigenvalues I have computed are very
small (in order of 1e-7) which are literally zeros. How should I deal with
them. I know one solution is do as in PCA. But I don't one to compress my
data at this point because I want to have the same number of signals after
artifact removal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Regards,