[Eeglablist] Does pop_clean_rawdata depend on the type of high-pass filt (0.1 or 1 Hz)?

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel velu.kumaravel at unitn.it
Tue Jul 27 03:00:30 PDT 2021

Hi Bianca,

I have observed minor differences in the list of bad channels if you use
the same data consequently. This is because *clean_rawdata *uses a robust
approach (RANSAC) to compute the Pearson correlation of channels with their
neighbors and every time you run the algorithm, it might consider a
different set of samples leading to slightly different resultant
correlation values (This is rare, though).

Filtering EEG at 1 Hz would reduce much more low-frequency noise peaks
compared to filtering at 0.1 Hz. This can change the list of bad channels,
especially for noisier subjects. This is more likely to be true for any
other bad channel detection method.

Given these, you may

1) apply 1 Hz filter to the raw data
2) detect bad channels using clean_rawdata (store the list of bad channels)
*         bad_channels = find(EEG.etc.clean_channel_mask == 0); % I used
this command in the past, please verify if it works*
3) perform ICA

4) apply 0.1 Hz filter to the raw data
5) remove *bad_channels *manually computed in step - 2
6) transfer ICA weights computed in step - 3

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel, Ph.D. Student
Center for Mind/Brain Sciences,