[Eeglablist] Question regarding ICA on continuous vs epoched data

Danielle Farrar dfarrar at bu.edu
Mon Dec 11 13:15:14 PST 2023

Hello,

I am trying to process some VEP data using a checkerboard paradigm that
flips every 0.5 - 1.5 seconds, using a 64 lead cap to record.  There's
about 30 minutes total of data, with breaks of checkerboard flips every few
minutes and lasting about 40 seconds.  Given the density of cap, it seems
that I should be using all of the data, otherwise I will have roughly 240
short epochs total.   I have been wondering about using ICA and ICLabel
rejection to remove artifacts -- I see that a lot of papers report
performing ICA on epoched data, but it seems that the epochs are longer.
If I epoch the data, it seems that it will either yield very short epochs
or overlapping epochs, both of which seem not ideal.  I'm wondering if I
should choose the overlapping epochs, choose short epochs, or just use the
continuous data to get an accurate analysis.  Any thoughts or suggestions
would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Danielle