[Eeglablist] Rank Deficiency Error on Select Few Subjects

Olivia Rowe orowe at cognitotx.com
Thu Mar 21 11:48:43 PDT 2024

Hi all,

We are using an EEGLab pipeline to analyze 30 subjects who underwent the same recording protocol. However, we have a subset of recordings (n=7) which fail during ICA decomposition due to the following error: “Quitting – weight matrix may not be invertible. This is not a bug.” We have narrowed down the issue to the high pass filter step (i.e., if we include all other steps of preprocessing except high pass filter, ICA runs to completion). Expanding the bandpass filter, originally .1-100 Hz, to 2-100 Hz doesn’t help. It also does not seem to be an error in re-referencing or other artifact removal steps. Additionally, given our 30-channel recording, we tried manually lowering the desired ICA components to 20, but were still rank deficient. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Olivia
2:41<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cognito-team.slack.com/archives/D05STQ15N82/p1710960081719099__;!!Mih3wA!E06DAWC6A3SI67h3rmWzhw8MX-b_jX-hFpHAxNCo08N_MNm0EWIjdoi9SbTwOUcWD2yUK1XUu-PDjGLMHCsHeQ$ >