[Eeglablist] separation of white gaussian sources

David Groppe dgroppe at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 22 20:31:54 PST 2004

Hi Marco,
  There is no way to uniquely re-whiten a mixture of Gaussian
sources that are independent across time (i.e. the activity of a source at
time t tells you nothing about the activity of that source at time t+x).
This is because there are an infinite number of matrices that will whiten
the mixture.  Any matrix that whitens the mixture can be rotated to
produce a new matrix that will whiten the data, because a rotated whitened
distribution is still a whitened distribution.
  If the sources are not independent across time, Belouchrani et al.'s
Second Order Blind Identification (SOBI) algorithm might work:

  A. Belouchrani, K. Meraim, J.-F. Cardoso, and E. Moulines, "A blind
source separation technique using second order statistics" IEEE Trans.
on Sig. Proc. 45, pp. 434-444, Feb. 1997

as might Gorodnitsky & Belouchrani's JCC algorithm:

I. Gorodnitsky and A. Belouchrani, "Joint cumulant and correlation based
signal separation with application to EEG data analysis" in ICA 2001, 2001

hope this helps,
  -David G.