[Eeglablist] Question for Nicolet BMSI 6000 EEG machine

Kolbjørn Brønnick bronnick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:38:37 PDT 2004

> Dear all,
> I am working on EEG analysis, of course ICA is a powerful tool for it.
> The EEG data is from Nicolet BMSI 6000 EEG machine, however I do not how
> to transfer the data into text format,
> so that ICAEEG can read it.  I believe someone has also encounter this
> problem. Could you please let me know how to solve this problem.
>
> Thanks, Xiaoli
>
> --
> Dr. Xiaoli LI

Dear Dr. Xiaoli LI.

If there is no way to export the data from the BMSI 6000 to ASCII or
some RAW binary format, you'll need to for instance either:

1. Use a third-party tool - perhaps BIOSIG. It says it support Nicolet
NRF so perhaps it could be of some help?:
http://biosig.sourceforge.net/

2. Obtain information on the format of the raw-data from the BMSI 6000
and make a Matlab function to convert it to a Matlab array/structure.
This is what I did with my own raw files from another unsupported
system "Psylab/Contact Precision Instruments". The raw files should be
quite generic and easy to convert.

3. This I would not really recommend, but you could use a tool for
converting binary files to ASCII, such as this one:
http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/BinToAscii.html. But I'd rather suggest
you make your own conversion function in Matlab.

Regards Kolbjørn S. Brønnick
Centre for neuro- and old age psychiatry
Rogaland Central Hospital
Norway