[Eeglablist] reference electrode

ty tiany20032003 at 163.com
Tue Jan 9 17:32:21 PST 2007

Dear all,

Thank you for your attention.

 I would like to ask something about the reference electrode.

I am doing some  research on MMN. MMN (Mismatch negativity ) , component of the event-related brain potential(ERP), acquired by subtracting the ERP elicited by the frequent(standard) from that of the infrequent(deviant)stimuli presented in an oddball sequence.

According to articles on MMN, nose reference online was used. They say because N2b which is following MMN if the deviant stimulis are intrusive, is usually not invert its polarity at mastoids, while the MMN does. In order to be able to identify the MMN and to separate it from the other ERP components, one should initially place the reference on the nose not at the mastoids.

  My question is : is there other reference electrode that  I can  use or other  methods to acquire the real MMN. Because I use the EGI system 200 to recording EEG, it was impossible to drag an electrode to the  nose.

Thanks a lot!

Alice
2007-01-10