[Eeglablist] A few questions about the use of "tftopo" function, thanks~

Chien-te Wu sentego at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 07:45:05 PST 2007

Dear EEGLab users,
  Somehow my last post doesn't seem to go through, so I am trying to post it
again, I apologize if it's a duplicate. I have a few questions about the
option 'signifs' and 'sigthresh' in the function "tftopo".
  1. As far as I understand from the function manual, the 'signifs' is like
a threshold for "simple effect" across electrodes/subjects, and 'sigthresh'
is more like a "random effect" that you can run significance test in a
single electrode or subject level and then ask what's the conjunction
result, are my understanding on the right direction?  If so, what's a
general rule to set up the threshold for 'sigthresh'?

  2. in the option of 'sinifs',  the matrix should either ([1|2], freqs,
chans, subjects). or [1|2], freqs,times chans, subjects), I'm a little
confused what's the [1|2] refers to?

 3. Brefore using tftopo, we should first use the loop script to calculate
the Time/Freq analysis for each channel and/or subject, then save the ERSP
matrix, then run tftopo, then set the threshold using 'signifs' for simple
effect, or use both 'sinifs' and 'sigthresh' to set a threshold for random
effect?

I apologize that my questions are not well organized, and any input will be
very appreciated, thanks a lot~

Vince
CCN at Duke