[Eeglablist] Clustering / ICA sign ambiguity

Stefan Debener s.debener at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Feb 18 11:09:23 PST 2007

Dear Ralf,

One way to bypass this problem is by back-projection. You are usually
interested only in a relatively small number of components/component
clusters, and those of interest could, for instance, be identified by
the amount of variance they contribute to an ERP condition effect (Plot
 >Sum/compare comp. ERPs).

The new cluster functions also allow you to cluster by all sorts of
information. Some are not affected by the sign ambiguity (dipole
localization, comp power, comp time-frequency, comp ITC) and sometimes
provide valuable clustering information.

Once you have identified several components belonging to the same
cluster you could set up a little script flipping all those components
showing a polarity opposite to the one defined as a template (I usually
take the first comp from the first subject as template).

Hope this helps,

Stefan