[Eeglablist] Artifact removal validation

Borna Noureddin bornan at ece.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 19 11:26:00 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have been working through the most recent tutorial on artifact
rejection, and have a question about validation.  How can I validate or
evaluate the performance of ICA for artifact removal?

The tutorial gives some steps for identifying artifact components, but
they are quite subjective.  This is further compounded by the fact that,
given the same set of data, running ICA gives a different set of
components each time.  So, even with an acceptable validation method,
it's unclear how I can objectively and reliably apply that method.

Is there, for example, a "post-artifact-removal" version of the tutorial
dataset that can be compared with the original tutorial dataset provided
with EEGLAB?  And if so, is there documentation about how precisely the
artifacts were removed?

Thanks,
Borna Noureddin