[Eeglablist] ICA questions

Князев knyazevv at ngs.ru
Thu Aug 23 20:09:20 PDT 2007

Dear eeglab Experts,

I am just starting to acclimatize myself to eeglab and
would be most grateful if you can answer a couple of
questions that a crucial for selection of strategy of my
future work.

1. Does it make sense to use ICA if only 32 channels (2
oculomotor) are available? What is the minimal number of
channels which still allows to do ICA?

2. Is it possible to compare groups of subjects or perform
a correlational analysis (say, correlate eeg and
personality measures) using ICA (given that in each
subject IC are individual)? I realize that clastering may
help to combine components of a sample of subjects into
chimerical "subjects" and thus get round the problem, but
it does not help when individual differences are of
interest. Could you please suggest a possible solution or
give relevant references? Receiving a pdf copy of relevant
paper would be particularly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Gennady Knyazev