[Eeglablist] IC figures

Slater, Jeremy D Jeremy.D.Slater at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Nov 28 20:25:15 PST 2007

Very nice explanation. One minor but important note is that it is not quite the situation that "each ICA component [is] a signal generated inside the brain". Most likely are. But any other sufficiently strong non-brain electrical signal that may get time-locked to your EP stimulus, such as eye-blink, can be separated out as an ICA component as well. One can take advantage of this using ICA as a filter, but it's probably not a bad idea to be aware that not everything that contributes to scalp surface electrical topography necessarily originates in the central nervous system ;-)

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy D. Slater, MD
Director, Texas Comprehensive Epilepsy Program
University of Texas - Houston Medical School
6431 Fannin Street
MSB 7.100
Houston, TX 77030

Phone: 713-500-7106