[Eeglablist] Marking Events Graphically without Rejection

Tyler Kapp tyler.kapp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:49:20 PDT 2009

Hello,
I am new user of EEGLAB so please accept my apologies if this is a very
simple question.  I have begun using EEGLAB to plot and edit EEG files
before running some analyses in MATLAB.  However, I have been unable as of
yet to determine a way to graphically mark events without rejecting them.
As a result, I have been forced to mark the events for rejection, save the
new file with the events removed, and run a script file that I have written
in MATLAB to insert the removed events back into the original file.  As you
can imagine, this is extremely tedious and I imagine there has to be some
functionality built into EEGLAB to do this for me.

I have looked at the EEGLAB help files in an effort to solve this problem.
The function pop_eegplot() takes an input, "reject", that seems to provide
the capability to perform the aforementioned task.  The following is the
code from the help file regarding the reject parameter:
    reject - 0 = Mark for rejection. Mark data portions by dragging the left
mouse
                     button on the data windows (producing a background
coloring indicating
                     the extent of the marked data portion).  Then press the
screen button
                     'Update Marks' to store the data portions marked for
rejection
                     (stretches of continuous data or whole data epochs). No
'Reject' button
                     is present, so data marked for rejection cannot be
actually rejected
                     from this eegplot() window.
               1 = Reject marked trials. After inspecting/selecting data
portions for
                     rejection, press button 'Reject' to reject (remove)
them from the EEG
                     data set (i.e., those portions plotted on a colored
background.
                     {default: 0, mark for rejection only}

However, when I attempt to call the function with 0 for the reject
parameter, it simply removes the reject button that is normally there when I
plot by choosing "Channel Data (Scroll)" in the plot menu.  I see that,
according to the help file, there should be a button marked "Update Marks"
on the screen and according to the help file it will provide the
functionality I require.  However, whether I plot by calling the function
manually from MATLAB or choosing "Channel Data (Scroll)" from the pull-down
menu there is no such button present.  Any help you can provide would be
very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tyler Kapp