[Eeglablist] Meaning of ITC

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 18 11:57:04 PDT 2009

Dear Pal and Baris,

from my perspective, ITC is a measure (like ERP). It tells you that
when you present a stimulus, some neural assemblies get synchronized
in a given frequency band to this stimulus presentation and thus
generate an EEG signal that can be recorded at the scalp. If the
neural response has a fixed latency with respect to stimulus
presentation, then the ITC will be high (close to 1) and we will have
a true ERP (a true ERP occurs when the ERP is present in every single
trial). If this neural response is desynchronized with respect to
stimulus onset then the ITC value will be low (closer to 0).

ITC has no meaning by itself: it is only defined with respect to the
presence of repetitive events in the EEG data and it is a measure of
the average synchronization between these events and the EEG signal in
the frequency domain.

Arno