[Eeglablist] Bayesian approach to ICA?

Bachman, Peter bachman at psych.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 6 16:00:16 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

First, I'd like to express my appreciation for the help I've received lately from members of this listserv.  I've posted a number of questions recently, and have received very helpful answers in all cases.

At the moment, I'm wondering whether anyone has every attempted to implement a Bayesian approach to ICA within EEGLAB specifically.

I know there are several ICA algorithms written in to EEGLAB, but as far as I can tell, none of them allow for any kind of modelling of priors.  Of course, one might argue that integrating prior information undermines 'blind' source separation, but it appears that there is precedent for taking a Bayesian approach to ICA within the digital signal processing field (e.g., Winther & Petersen, 2007, Digital Signal Processing).

Thanks in advance for your input!
Peter

Peter Bachman, PhD
Semel Institute
UCLA Department of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences
bachman at psych.ucla.edu