[Eeglablist] Importing EGI RAW - EEGLAB out of memory error

Joseph Dien jdien07 at mac.com
Mon Aug 10 14:27:51 PDT 2009

If you just want to run artifact correction then my EP Toolkit
provides a way to access the ICA functions of EEGlab and does some
other things useful for ERP work (I've put a lot of work into
supporting EGI file formats since that is what I use myself, although
it does support some others like Neuroscan).  For more help, I have to
echo Arno in asking for more information.  Some of the standard info
for troubleshooting is:

the exact error messages
the version of Matlab
the operating system
the version of the software (EEGlab)
preferably a copy of the file you were trying to use
the exact settings you used

I realize this may seem like a big hassle but they are truly needed.
What's hard to appreciate until one writes software is just how
individualized bugs can be.  Specific combinations of factors result
in bugs that no one else, or at least not the programmer, has seen
before.  So you have to go in assuming the programmer has no idea what
you're talking about.  Anyway, happy to help if I can.

Cheers!

Joe

On Aug 10, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Arnaud Delorme wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>

>> I'm trying to import EGI RAW files (~200Mb each) into EEGLAB but
>> continually get an out of memory error. The system I'm using has
>> about 1.5gig DDR RAM. I've tried using the standard option that
>> comes with the program, as well as Biosig but each time the same
>> error comes up. I would try using FileIO, but when executed the
>> program comes back with multiple errors saying that files are named
>> the same as MATLAB core files and should be renamed, then not
>> running.
>>
>> My questions are, can this problem be overcome by installing
>> MATLAB / EEGLAB onto a system with more RAM, or is some
>> reconfiguring required? If some reconfiguring is required, how
>> would I go about it? Would FileIO be able to overcome this out of
>> memory error? If yes, how can do I get around the rename error?
>

> No reconfiguring required. More RAM should be OK. What is the rename
> error? I suggest you contact Joseph Dien who seems to be motivated
> to improve the FILE-IO and EEGLAB interface and also implement
> memory mapping for EGI data files.
>
> Arno

Joseph Dien,
Senior Research Scientist