[Eeglablist] Memory errors linked to Java VM heap space, in addition to 64 Bit and RAM

Jeff Maxwell maxwell.jeff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 06:29:37 PDT 2009

Dear EEGLab Users,
Running 64 bit MatLab on a box with plenty of memory fixes most memory
errors.  But for loading extremely large EEG files in an atypical format,
this has not always proved sufficient, in my experience.  So if there is a
problem specifically when trying to load large data sets, it might be an
issue with the default Java VM heap space settings within MatLab, which can
easily be altered:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-18I2C.html

Simply create a file java.opts in the root MatLab folder, or your startup
directory if you don't have admin rights, and put a single text line in that
file indicating how much memory to allocate:  e.g., -Xmx4096m

Hope this helps for any problems that aren't resolved by the other threads.

Cheers,
Jeff Maxwell