[Eeglablist] which cap electrode is the best?

Philip Michael Zeman pzeman at alumni.uvic.ca
Wed Aug 26 09:00:15 PDT 2009

Hi Ki-Young Jung

I have had experience with 3 styles of caps

(1) the standard 10-20 system EEG cap available for the last 20 years. Put the cap on the head, secure the chin strap, put electrode paste in the holes in the cap, attach the electrodes.

(2) a geodesics quick-cap design available for approximately the last 5 years. The cap is an expandable wire grid of electrodes.  Easy set-up is advertised.

(3) Biosemi Active-II electrode cap system available for approximately the last 5 years.  Put the cap on the head, secure the chin strap, put electrode paste in the holes in the cap, attach *ACTIVE LOW NOISE* electrodes.

I highly recommend either option (1) or option (3).  My experience with option (2) is that while attaching the electrodes to a study participants head is fast, the electrode contacts are generally not particularly good.  The result is that the data are quite noisy.

Since it sounds like you already have your EEG system, you will not be able to use option (3) so that leaves option (2).  This my opinion colored by my experience.  I suggest you also consider the opinions of other researchers, in addition to mine, before you make your final decision.

Regards,

Philip Michael Zeman