[Eeglablist] Regarding Simultaneous fMRI-EEG Data

Makoto Miyakoshi mataothefifth at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Sep 3 20:28:29 PDT 2009

Dear Gaurav,

> I have got similar 3D rendering and SPMmip images but
> your design matrix with contrast, as given in the 'pdf file' you sent
> to me, does not match when giving the contrast values here; can you
> please tell me that how you are giving the no. of volumes to use
> after stabilization of fMRI scanner and contrast parameter.

I discarded first 10 scans (=30seconds duration) to secure data quality.
There are therefore 110 scans. I found it takes while for EEG data to be
stabilized. There is actually seven seconds of preparatory scan that is not
counted as data, but it seems it is not sufficient. Contrast parameter is
alpha-power time series extracted from one of ICs that represent occipital
alpha. The following is the matlab script prototype I used. Be sure that
you launched EEGLAB and loaded the set file (epoched). I used cycles = 22
at 8-12Hz, which is approximately 3sec. it picks up the highest alpha power
between 8-12Hz by 0.1Hz step. Note also that the hrf is convolved in the
end (so you need SPM installed).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

for n=[11 13 14]; % enter IC numbers
    [ersp,itc,powbase,times,freqs,erspboot,itcboot] = newtimef(...
        EEG.icaact(n,:),...         % data
        EEG.pnts,...                 % frames
        [EEG.xmin EEG.xmax]*1000,... % tlimits
        EEG.srate,...                % srate
        22,...                       % cycles
        'timesout', 330,...
        'freqs', [8 12],...
        'nfreqs', 41,...
        'plotersp', 'off',...
        'plotitc', 'off',...
        'baseline', NaN);
    [power freqn] = max(mean(ersp,2));
    disp([num2str(freqs(freqn)) 'Hz selected'])
    regressor = ersp(freqn, :);
    regressor = resample(regressor, 110, length(regressor));
    regressor = conv(regressor, spm_hrf(3));
    regressor = regressor(:, [1:110]);
    save(['IC' num2str(n)], 'regressor')
end

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

> I tried to analyse the eegdata in EEGLab and removed gradient and
> pulse artefacts using the given tools in EEGLab, also tried to
> localize the source using BESA electrode placement design; but I am
> not very much sure about results I am getting, because of two
> reasons, one is the all the parameters I am to give in the software
> are not available to me and I am putting them as given in manual of
> the EEGLab, and the second reason, as being new to this field,
> relating them with biological aspects and brain anatomy.

I have never used BESA plugin, so I don't know anything about it. One of
MEG persons came to me and said the dipole, which was located at left
occipito-temporal area, looks absurd. I don't doubt he is true, because my
data have only 32 channels. My understanding of significance of source
estimation is that it provides spatial information as one of constraint
conditions in interpreting the data, which is not necessarily
physiologically valid given that the current recording condition is far
from ideal. You'll need 128 channels to achieve the spatial Nyquist of a
human head (Srinivasan, 1995).

> I am studying the paper you had sent to me and I will let you know if
> I will be able to implement the idea given in paper.

Great! Please tell me if it works. I also wondered if it is possible to
create a file format converter between EEGLAB and FAST (or SPM8).

> If you also tried for fusion or integration of both simultaneously
> recorded EEG and fMRI data earlier or you know any tool available for
> this purpose, then please let me know.

I also use VisonAnalyzer that came with BrainAmp. I found it convenient to
identify ECG peak manually with it because it has intuitive interactive
interface. I hope the similar interactive interface is implemented in
EEGLAB.

Makoto