[Eeglablist] Identifying induced responses

Guillaume Rousselet g.rousselet at psy.gla.ac.uk
Thu Sep 24 01:48:58 PDT 2009

Dear Keith,

Not sure which technique is the best, but you should try testing
existing techniques on a good subject first to see if you get anything
at all.

I think the most used technique to isolate the induce response
consists in [1] computing the power spectrum of the ERP averaged
across trials, [2] computing the average power spectrum of the single-
trial ERP, [3] subtract 1 from 2.

Another technique consists in directly subtracting the mean ERP from
each single-trial, and computing the power spectrum on the centred
data, see ref:

Rousselet, G. A., Husk, J. S., Bennett, P. J., & Sekuler, A. B.
(2007). Single-trial EEG dynamics of object and face visual
processing. Neuroimage, 36(3), 843-862.

The function to compute time-frequency decompositions is newtimef.

The different steps of the 2 techniques above can easily be
implemented using this function. For instance, you can compute centred
data at one electrode E to feed into newtimef by doing:
data = squeeze(EEG.data(E,:,:)) - repmat(mean(squeeze(EEG.data(E,:,:)),
2),1,size(EEG.data,3));

Best,

GAR

On 23 Sep 2009, at 16:11, Keith Yoder wrote:

> Hi all,
> I know that this problem has been discussed to some extent already
> (e.g. http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2008/002262.html),
> but I've been unable to find a define solution.  What I'm attempting
> to do is the portion of the response that is induced, rather than
> evoked.
> Our paradigm involves a computer screen with five sections, each
> flickering at a different frequency.  At any given time, one of the
> sections is cued (the section is surrounded by a a bright red
> line).  We are attempting to identify induced changes time-locked to
> cue shifts.  I know that other authors have had some success using
> the following general procedure:
>    1. Compute the time-domain average (ERP)
>    2. Perform a Fourier transform on the time-domain average
>    3. Subtract the Fourier transform coefficients from the Fourier
> transform coefficients of each single trial
>    4. Calculate the amplitude spectrum of the subtracted Fourier
> coefficents at each trial
> In theory, the resulting amplitude spectrum from step 4 should
> isolate the induced response.  Before I implement the above steps, I
> wanted to ask this list for opinions.
> Have others on this list found the procedure to be the most
> effective method for isolating induced responses?  If not, what
> methods have proved to be more effective?  Finally, are there EEGLAB
> functions that can be manipulated (either by the appropriate
> parameters or by small changes to the code itself) to perform some
> or all of the above steps?
> Thanks in advance,
> Keith
> --
> Research Aide
> Belmonte Autism Lab
> Cornell University

Guillaume A. Rousselet, Ph.D.

Lecturer

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging (CCNi)
Department of Psychology
Faculty of Information & Mathematical Sciences (FIMS)
University of Glasgow
58 Hillhead Street
Glasgow, UK
G12 8QB

http://web.me.com/rousseg/GARs_website/

Email: g.rousselet at psy.gla.ac.uk
Fax. +44 (0)141 330 4606
Tel. +44 (0)141 330 6652
Cell +44 (0)791 779 7833

"Greed creates profit, which creates growth, which creates jobs and
products and services and everything else anyone could possibly need
or want. The role of the government, then, is to create the optimal
conditions for corporations to pursue their bottomless greed, so that
they in turn can meet the needs of the society. The problem is that
governments, even neoconservative governments, rarely get the chance
to prove their sacred theory right: despite their enormous ideological
advances, even George Bush's Republicans are, in their own minds,
perennially sabotaged by meddling Democrats, intractable unions, and
alarmist environmentalists."

	Naomi Klein - No War - America's real business in Iraq - 2005