[Eeglablist] relationship between no of channels and no of components

Keith Yoder kjy3 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 16 18:32:26 PDT 2009

Piotr,
I believe that ICA only returns as many components as runica determines
ought to exist.  Thus, if only 22 of the channels are linearly independent
(perhaps because of electrode bridging), runica will only calculate 22
components.  Another reason may arise from your operating system.  We use
MATLAB R2008a on a 64-bit Intel mac.  Apparently, 64-bit versions of MATLAB
have some problems identifying the number of linearly independent channels.
 In our case, when attempting to identify components from 132 channels, PCA
with runica was only calculating 88 components.
-Keith
--
Research Aide
Belmonte Neuroscience Laboratory