[Eeglablist] Wrapped Phase Angle from newtimef?

Bradley Voytek bradley.voytek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:57:26 PDT 2010

Zachary:

Unwrapping the phase won't really give you what you're looking for
(though the derivative of the unwrapped phase can give you useful
information, such as "instantaneous" frequency).

First of all, I strongly support Dr. Zeman's recommendation of the
circular statistics toolbox. It's very easy to use and quite clear.

If I understand you correctly, you'd like to relate phase to EEG
variables, which I assume means amplitude, power, or latency of the of
the ERP or time-frequency variables.

I'd suggest that you take your phase time-series, such as the one you
plotted, and then extract the instantaneous phase at every time point
of interest (e.g., peak P300 amplitude). Then you can plot the
clustering of those phases in a circular plot. From that you can
extract the mean phase angle and vector length (from 0 to 1) which
would represent the preferred phase and coherence, respectively, at
your P300 peaks. This would be done using the circ_mean and circ_r
commands within the circular statistics toolbox. You can also computer
the significance of the clustering against the assumption of a random
distribution using circ_rtest, for example.

Then you can also extract the P300 peaks themselves, separately.

This would give you two vectors: P300 peak amplitude and phases at
those amplitudes. Now let's say you want to see if the two are
correlated. Obviously because you're phase data are circular, a linear
correlation isn't the correct way to do this. But you *can* correlate
one circular and one linear variable using the circ_corrcl command.

Anyway, good luck! I hope this is helpful.

::brad