[Eeglablist] improving coherence estimates

Spencer, Kevin M. kevin_spencer at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 1 08:47:45 PDT 2010

Dear Stan,

Regarding your first question, you should check out Truccolo et al., Clinical Neurophysiology 2002 113:206-226. In this study they demonstrated that subtraction of the ERP from single trials actually leaves residual activity on the single trials which distorts estimates of single-trial activity. This is highly relevant for both coherence and single-electrode analyses.

While subtracting the ERP from the single trials before subsequent analyses is not a good idea, if you're doing time-frequency analyses, you can subtract evoked power/coherence from total power/coherence (average of single-trial power/coherence).

Kevin
Kevin M. Spencer, Ph.D.
Director, Neural Dynamics Laboratory (http://ndl.hms.harvard.edu<http://ndl.hms.harvard.edu/>)
Research Health Scientist, VA Boston Healthcare System
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School