[Eeglablist] EEG amplifier and alternative input

Frank H Duffy fhd at sover.net
Wed Aug 4 08:16:31 PDT 2010

There are two major issues, both related to the differences in EEG and
voice spectral content:

1. EEG amplifiers typically record from 0.5 -100 Hz but may be able to
open to 500Hz for EP data collection. However, voice typically requires,
for telephone-like reproduction, a 500 Hz to 3000 Hz band pass. Thus the
EEG amplifiers would likely reject and/or severly distort audio inputs.
2. As most EEG machines are digital these days, they time sample
(digitize) EEG signals. As a minimum they must use a rate that is
slightly more than twice the highest desired input signal, e.g., 200 H
samplige rate for 100 Hz EEG.  For voice one would require a
digitization rate of at least 2x 3000Hz; typically one wants a minimum
of 10000 Hz for voice.  So the EEG devices typical sampling rates of
200-1024 Hz would not reasonably sample voice signals.

So, no, voice over EEG amplifiers won't work. It would take a complex,
parallel EEG and separate voice amplifier and A-D converter setups to
match voice to EEG. This can be done. Indeed some EEG machines match
both voice and video to EEG. However, there is a lot of engineering to
make the EEG and voice/video follow the same clock time.

Best of luck.

Frank Duffy, MD  fhd at sover.net
For the above discussion also BSEE and ham (k1moq)