[Eeglablist] Using ICA with interpolated channels

Ronald Phlypo Ronald.Phlypo at ugent.be
Fri Oct 1 01:16:00 PDT 2010

  Dear Jordi and list members,

Personally, I do not fully agree that one does not benefit from spatial
interpolation of the EEG before ICA analysis. Whilst the comment

<<Hence, a new dimension of data is not being created by doing the
interpolation.>>

does certainly hold true for linear interpolation schemes, this does no
longer hold for nonlinear interpolation schemes (cubic splines,
wavelets, etc.), since a linear unmixing process would see new data in
there. At best, the dimension of the "cerebral data" would not increase,
but it might well be that the signal to noise ratio augments by
increasing the number of virtual channels (obtained through
interpolation) included in your dataset, where I made the implicit
assumption that the interpolation is a good approximation to the
potential field, i.e., that the potential field has been well sampled
from the start by choosing good electrode locations. The total dimension
of your data thus increases by introducing new noise sources (which are
the interpolation errors).

A question that arises to me is whether interpolation should be used or
best least squares fitting (since the electrode measurements themselves
include noise, which should not to be modelled by the "interpolated"
potential field).

Hope this keeps the discussion alive and I would very much be interested
if anyone would already have obtained some results on this !

Ronald