[Eeglablist] How to deal with 1/f noise in the low frequency oscillations for on-line experiments?

Gangadhar Garipelli gangadhar.garipelli at epfl.ch
Thu Nov 11 04:40:51 PST 2010

Hello Philip & eeglablist,

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, you are correct! I should apply
high pass filtering to remove a variety of neuronal and non-neuronal
artifacts in the very slow frequency range[I, II]. Eventually, a high
pass of 0.1Hz cut-off is good enough. But the problem is, I need to have
a sharp transition for the filter and should have "almost" no
group/phase delay for the on-line experiment.

"I quote again that I need to implement such a filter on-line and almost
in real-time wherein I can afford a time delay (resulting from filter's
group delay) of ~1s."

If I manage to have such a filter, I would not loose any signals in the
range [0.2 0.6] & [0.6 0.8]Hz that are relevant to my experiment.

I am expecting various suggestions, using either signal processing or
machine learning approaches or combination of both. I had suggestions
already, using matched filters, lock-in amplification, amplitude
modulation using choppers, exploiting spatial information etc. But none
of them are satisfactory as of now.

If one of you dealt with such a problem already, I would be very
grateful to learn from your experience! :-)