[Eeglablist] Is ITC biased by trial numbers?

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 00:53:00 PST 2010

Hi Zara,
Having some experience with ITC, or at least cross-coherence, I would say yes - since the ITC of using only one trial is necessarily 1. I find that subtracting the baseline does help somewhat, but usually, one still find effects to be larger (and often more variable) if there are fewer trials. This, I guess, is more or less the same thing one would see in typical ERP type of studies - any component being larger depending on the number of trials one averages over. One idea I've heard before on this list is to correct for this is by using random subsets of the same number of trials as in the condition with fewest trials and average over these, so that they become comparable in magnitude. Does anyone else have suggested as to what might be possible pitfalls in this type of analysis? Any rules of thumb on the amount of subsets to use, for instance?

Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow