[Eeglablist] Wireless keyboards for EEG?

Andrew Hill andrewhill at ucla.edu
Sat Dec 11 16:10:32 PST 2010

Don't do it.  :)  Stay away from both wireless and USB, unless it's a special zero-latency USB protocol-based keyboard (e.g. a special keyboard designed for response collection that has an additional circuit board to monitor and adjust for the issues with USB).

Otherwise a USB protocol will have variable polling latency, and will introduce a (non-fixed) latency into each button-press that will range from about 7ms to over 30 ms, depending on various factors.  Most wireless keyboards are bluetooth, which has a much less predictable lag and jitter than that of USB.

So.. use a PS/2 keyboard or other serial or parallel response box, unless time resolution of 20-50ms is ok.

Best,
Andrew