[Eeglablist] Using PCA before ICA decomposition?

Simon-Shlomo Poil simonshlomo.poil at cncr.vu.nl
Wed Jan 18 18:32:34 PST 2012

Hi Chang,

Yes. When you do PCA before ICA it reduces your rank. So with your example

> However, If I first do PCA 35 then ICA ( it returns 35 ICs) and remove 20
> ICs, do I only have 15 ranks left or I still have 108 ranks for the cleaned
> data? If I want to do ICA again, what number I should put in ['pca' ...]? Is
> the PCAed data the same as the raw data, but only with a linear transform,
> or EEGlab change the data at PCA step by deleting the small PCs and then
> conduct ICA on the first 35 PCs?

then you have a rank of 15. This means that, if you want to run ICA
again, you have use ['pca', 15] in your call.

Simon-Shlomo Poil

Neuronal Oscillations and Cognition Group (NOC)
Department of Integrative Neurophysiology (INF)
Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (CNCR)
Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam
VU University Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1085, Room B-435
1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands