[Eeglablist] dipfit with and without bilateral dipoles

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:19:50 PST 2012

Hi all,

My question is about dipfit. In tutorials and some workshop
presentations and papers, including Onton et al. (2005) NeuroImage
paper, I realized that bilateral dipole selection is preferred for an
IC when the IC has a bilateral distribution.

This makes sense, however,  some components are in the center, and
also, bilateral dipfit gives much smaller residual variance than the
single dipole fits (Compare components 13 and 16 in the figures). In
addition, there are visible (in some cases extreme) differences in the
the localization of the dipoles in two cases. (I used BESA 4 -layer
spherical model with no-coregistration)

a) What is the general consensus on this?
b) How do you decide whether you will pick lateral dipole versus single dipole?

Any papers/poster suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Baris

--
Ş. Barış Demiral, PhD.
Department of Psychiatry