[Eeglablist] ICA question

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 1 21:14:40 PST 2012

I think your suggestion that concatenating everybody and at least find
the weak artifactual IC activity of the clean (least affected)
subjects, and taking this IC out may lead to, again, some spurious
effect, such that the weights you find will not exactly be the IC
weights related to the artifacts of the clean subject.

Your hypothesis is a bit hard to follow. You assume that there are
artifacts which are not captured by ICA for those clean subjects. If
you are so sure of that do the following: After the first ICA run,
take the observed artifactual ICs. Then run ICA again. And if there
are no more artifacts, then you are wrong.

In parallel, find the dipoles of the ICs with dipfit plugin. If a
component is really an artifactual component, the dipole will be near
the scull or out of the brain (use BESA 4-layer, with no
co-registration, will give you good estimations).

If you run ICA separately for the two groups twice  (rejecting
artifacts after the first one), you will end up with same number of
ICs for the two groups.

Baris