[Eeglablist] ICA question

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:50:57 PST 2012

Baris - See >> below. -Scott

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Baris Demiral
<demiral.007 at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear Scott,
>
> I should jump in now, and ask you the things that I was curious about.
> I cannot wait for hearing your response.
>
> a) What is your position on the evaluation/theoretical feasibility of
> the software like EEGIFT etc. (see the e-mail discussion on social
> cognition paradigms) and joint ICA. What is your point of view?
>

>> Highly sub-optimum. Our result (Delorme, in press PLoS One tomorrow)
shows that the more complete the reduction in mutual information between
the channels in the component data, the more  components are
physiologically distinct, e.g. their maps each represent the projection of
a single equivalent current dipole or cortical patch. And ICA across
subjects cannot be exact (e.g., cannot fully reduce mutual information).

> b) How will you guys apply such approaches to ICA clustering etc.?
>

>> You may also investigate Nima Bigdeley Shamlo's Measure Projection
Toolbox for integrating (separately computed!) ICA decomposition measures
from a group of subjects and/or sessions.

> c) How will SIFT be affected by this? AND, WHEN will you release new
> SIFT package??
>

>> Tim Mullen is developing SIFT. You may write him directly if he doesn't
respond here.

Best,