[Eeglablist] Pipeline of processing to optimize ICA for artrifact removal

Modestino, Edward J *HS EJM9F at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Mar 1 08:37:13 PST 2012

Dr. Makeig,

You mention the following formula below to determine how much data is needed to optimally use ICA.

#timepoints/(#channels)^2

So, if I have the following for each condition: (data was recorded at 1,000 Hz and I have about 186 one second epochs)

(1,000 time points *186 epochs)/(53 channels)^2

186,000/2,809 = 66.2157351

Below you mention it needs to be  much more than 1 or even as high as 30 for 256 channels.  What exactly is the cut off for optimal ICA using this formula? I want to be able to use this formula to determine for each dataset I have, ranging up to 128 channels and recorded at different sampling rates, what is enough data to run ICA optimally.

Thanks,
Dr. Modestino

Edward Justin Modestino, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ray Westphal Neuroimaging Laboratory
Division of Perceptual Studies
Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences
University of Virginia