[Eeglablist] What is meant by 'epoch' and 'frames' in EEG Lab

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:33:10 PST 2012

following up on Stephen's note, now you know what epochs and frames are.
Some resources for you below, enjoy!

before anything else, if you have not, please also take the time and
attention to:

1. Read Luck's ERP analysis/methods handbook
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=10677
Luck, S. J. (2005b). Ten simple rules for designing ERP experiments. In T.
C. Handy (Ed.),
*Event-Related Potentials: A Methods Handbook* (pp. 17-32). Cambridge, MA:
MIT Press. [Download
PDF<http://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu/people/sjluck/pdfs/Luck%202005%20Ten_Simple_Rules.pdf>
]
Luck, S. J. (in press). Event-related potentials. In D. L. Long (Ed.), *APA
Handbook of Research Methods in Psychology*.
Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. [Download
PDF<http://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu/people/sjluck/pdfs/In%20Press%2C%201-space.pdf>
]

Read this handbook chapter as well if you have not already[Click on Link
for word document]
[DOC]
 *Electroencephalography* and High-Density Electrophysiological
*...*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=handbook%20psychophysiology%20electroencephalography%20&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpsyphz.psych.wisc.edu%2F~shackman%2FPizzagalli_HandbookCacioppo.doc&ei=MWZVT9qJHuTgiALimI21Bg&usg=AFQjCNH1ie0ItNY8nAO2tEHSAH7DKbXdBg&sig2=1euNSjzBRpG7qbM2HMxyGA>
psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/~shackman/Pizzagalli_*Handbook*Cacioppo.doc
 Handy's ERP handbook
http://books.google.com/books/about/Event_related_potentials.html?id=OQyZEfgEzRUC

2. Search on Google Scholar for "EEGLAB" and read a few summary articles
from the EEGLAB group
See also online Read this handbook chapter as well if you have not already
*Makeig S*, Onton J. ERP features and EEG dynamics: An ICA
perspective<http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott/pdf/Makeig_Onton_LuckERP11.pdf>
(1.1MB
pdf)*Oxford Handbook of Event-Related Potential Components*, Ed. Luck S &
Kappenman E, 2012.

3. Examine the EEGLAB 2012 workshop videos and materials[Search on Google
to find it, two sample videos below]
FOr example:

   -

   Scott *Makeig*, Streaming video of a talk, 'Mining Cognitive Brain
   Dynamics I'<http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/Online_EEGLAB_Workshop/EEGLAB12_Mining_I.html>,
   given at the 12th EEGLAB Workshop, La Jolla CA, November 18, 2010. The
   slides (.pdf) are also available
here<http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Online_EEGLAB_Workshop>
   .
   -

   Scott *Makeig*, Streaming video of a talk, 'Mining Cognitive Brain
   Dynamics II'<http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/Online_EEGLAB_Workshop/EEGLAB12_Mining_II.html>,
   given at the 12th EEGLAB Workshop, La Jolla CA, November 20, 2010. The
   slides (.pdf) are also available
here<http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Online_EEGLAB_Workshop>
   .

3. Read through and do ALL of the EEGLAB tutorial and and EEGLAB wiki
4. Search on google scholar and read recent articles in good journals with
the keywords "EEG" and your "topics of interest"
5. Search on google scholar and read recent articles that use EEGLAB as
part of their methods.